Thursday 18 December 2008

Human beings and being human


Funny how with the onset of Christmas people relax. Though to some extent it's a greedfest, it does remind me how it's not necessarily the most difficult thing in the world to be nice and friendly. Maybe I've changed. Generally I don't find people all that interesting. Part of me would still prefer to be a hermit, in the middle of some woods or on a mountainside somewhere. But even if I was, I would probably still miss Christmas.


So my resolution for this Xmas and next year is to try and be more human. However inhuman (mechanical, conformist, rude, aggressive, addicted etc etc etc) others are around me. Smile more. Talk more. Care less about what others think. Accept myself as I am. And have a good time...
Why is it that one can look at a lion or a planet or an owl or at someone’s finger as long as one pleases, but looking into the eyes of another person is, if prolonged past a second, a perilous affair?
( from Walker Percy, Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book)


No comments: