Saturday 29 November 2008

Party time


It was supposedly the company Christmas party. I don't know why I went. It was a 'corporate event' replete with self-regard and self-congratulation on the part of those in command and control. In fact it reminded me of a political party conference - the only difference (and the only consolation) was the free booze.


Everything of this nature aspires to the condition of showbiz and the attention span of the TV watcher. References were made to recent electoral changes in a foreign state and cheered by British citizens. Well I suppose what's on TV is more interesting than G.Brown and his gang.


Fighting to be heard against the voices of self-congratulation ringing in my ears were lines from some old songs. "I thought it was the UK, or just another country"; "Yes it's time for the Dr Goebbels show".


Oh I am still an old punkrocker and proud of it. So much so that I left before the dancing started. If it ever did.

No comments: